Health Care Assistant Program (ESL)
The HCA ESL Program is designed to provide students with opportunities to develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to function effectively as front-line care-givers and respected members of the health care team. Under the direction and supervision of a health professional, graduates provide person-centered care aimed at promoting and maintaining the physical, emotional, cognitive and social well-being of clients.
Upon completion of the program, graduates are prepared to work in a variety of practice settings including home support, assisted living, residential/complex care, special care units, other home and community care settings and acute care.
This Health Care Assistant-ESL Program is geared towards those with undeveloped or developing English skills. If you have developed English skills, please see the standard Health Care Assistant program here.
This program includes 270 hours of practicum along with 300 hours of ESL.
The Health Care Assistant program delivered by PACE Canada College is recognized by the BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry.
Note :Graduates of the HCA program delivered by PACE Canada College are eligible for registration with the BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry.
Duration of Program:
HCA ESL (Day) 38 Weeks
HCA ESL (Evening) 38 Weeks
HCA ESL (Weekend) 40 Weeks
Theory /Lab Hours : 775 Hrs
Health and Healing Concepts for Practice (70 Hrs.)
Health 1: Interpersonal Communications (50 Hrs.)
Health 2: Lifestyle and Choices (30 Hrs.)
Health Care Assistant: Introduction to Practice (30 Hrs.)
Healing 1: Caring for individuals Experiencing Common Health Challenges (115 Hrs.)
Healing 2: Caring for individuals Experiencing Cognitive or Mental Challenges (60 Hrs.)
Healing 3: Personal Care and Assistance (120 Hrs.)
ESL :English (Speaking, Listening, Reading, & Writing) (300Hrs.)
Practicum : 270 Hrs.
HCA 201: Practicum I (60 Hrs.)
• At any assisted living facility
HCA 202: Practicum II (210 Hrs.)
• At any complex care facility
Total Minimum Hours : 1045 Hrs
How to Apply
Domestic Students: Prospective students must complete the following to gain admission into this program:
1. Student must meet all entry requirements of program, complete and submit the Enrollment Form for Domestic Students either in-person at the college or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Students must pay the entirety of the course fee prior to the commencement of the course. However, in deserving cases, students may be permitted to pay via an interest-free installment plan. This can be done in-person at the college.
Prior to acceptance: 1. 18 years or older 2.English qualification for non-native speakers of English with evidence of one of the following test scores:
- TOEFL (test must be within the last two years) IBT only 56, speaking and listening 15, reading and writing 13;
- IELTS Academic or General (test must be within last two years) 5.5, speaking and listening 5.5, reading and writing 5.0;
- CLBPT (test must be with the last six months) listening 6, speaking 6, reading 5 and writing 5;
- CELPIP Academic or General: 3H, speaking and listening 3H, reading and writing 3L; CAEL 50, each section 40.
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) Overall Score of 50, with no section less than 40.
Prior to proceeding for Practicum:
- Proof of meeting current immunizations/vaccinations as per health care organization policies/guidelines (or signed vaccination exemption form, except TB)
- Criminal Record check from Ministry of Justice, including clearance to work with vulnerable adults
- Standard First Aid CPR level “C” or “HCP”
- Food Safe Level 1
Negative reaction to TB test or chest x-ray
|Registration Fee (if applicable)||$100.00|
|Registration Fee (if applicable)||$100.00|
- Health Care Aid
- Nursing Home Attendant
- Home Care Worker
- Home Support Worker
- Resident Companion-Medical
- Personal Care Attendant-Medical
Graduates can register with BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry which will allow them to work in Government funded Healthcare facilities.
Click our Upcoming Programs page to see when the next cohort is beginning.
Disclaimer: PACE Canada College reserves the right to modify or change any information pertaining to description, schedule or anything else, published on our website at any time.